Saturday, January 30, 2021

Playful Interactions


Schitt's Creek - "You Get Murdered First!"
https://youtu.be/28D16gVwozs

First of all, I LOVE Schitts Creek! If you haven’t watched the series multiple times, you must. It’s even funnier the second, and third time around. This particular scene reminded me of my relationship with my brothers. We had very similar playful interactions. I have many of these memories but I will only share a few that bring a smile to my face. 

My family went to see Dr. Phil live, totally on a budget (which by the way made it even more fun). All five of us shared a one bedroom hotel room in Los Angeles. The room must have been used once as a cleaning facility, or something other than a normal hotel room. I am not sure how they were able to say that it comfortably slept five. It was one open room with an  extension that looked like it was once a closet (with the door taken off) that had a small twin mattress inside. Of course, Manny got that bed- he was the baby, easy going- especially on vacation, so he often got the least desirable sleeping arrangement. Since it was one open room, we could all still see each other when we slept, but I jokingly called it the "coffin room." This name ended up scaring my brother Manny and....myself. I can still remember seeing his size 13 feet dangling at the end of the bed from the opening in the "coffin room."  Might be hard to understand the silliness in this memory, but it is special to me. 
This is not the exact room, this must have been after some updating or remodeling. But, the opening is where the bed would have been.



We would also playfully joke about who was going to get mom's rocking chair when she passed away. One time, when Manny and I were discussing it I told him, "Fine. You can have it. But remember...mom will come by and visit you. You might even see the chair rocking by itself at night." It was at that moment that we both weren't sure if we wanted it.

Oh, how I miss our playful interactions. I miss my brother.


2 comments:

  1. Such a funny story. I remember how happy Manny was telling me about his time at the Dr. Phil show & when he was chosen to come to the front of stage. Only Manny with his larger than life personality would be the only one picked from a large group of people. They knew talent when they spotted him.

    ReplyDelete