Saturday, March 6, 2021

Speechless

The other night, while laying in bed, my six year old had his eyes filled with tears. He fought out the words, " I just want to play with Uncle Manny one more time."

I had no idea what to say. I was speechless. What is the correct parenting response? Let me rephrase...what is the correct parenting response when you too are grieving and want to see your brother one more time?

Heart wrenching.

It is one thing to grieve so deeply yourself but to watch that grief in your own child is devastating. I went with the quick response that never really helps, "He is still here with you. Watching over you." What six year old wants to hear that? Of course I believe this to be true, but that doesn't help or ease the want to hug, play, or even see his Uncle Manny. Anyone who has lost someone can understand that the above statement comes from a place of love but truly doesn't make the pain lessen.

 I guess this is our new normal. Having my child grieve at such a young age is so upsetting but I understand that is part of his journey. I just have to find the strength to answer his tough questions and be there in his tough moments. It took me out of my own tunnel of grief and opened my eyes to the grief around me. One...Day...At...A...Time.

3 comments:

  1. awe sweet Charlie Bear looks just like his Uncle Manny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crushingly heartbreaking Candace. Thinking of you guys. Hugs. Support. Healing powers/vibes. Again, nothing that really helps. But-you guys are always in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crushingly heartbreaking Candace. Thinking of you guys. Hugs. Support. Healing powers/vibes. Again, nothing that really helps. But-you guys are always in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete